Bed & Breakfast Inns of Missouri is an organization of highly-rated, inspected, and approved inns and bed & breakfasts throughout the state of Missouri. Our members all go through a rigorous check performed by trained, independent inspectors before they are then approved by the BBIM board and accepted as a member. Our clients can choose their B&B vacation with confidence, knowing that every member will go above and beyond for a beautiful, welcoming experience. Curious what it takes to be a BBIM member? Whether you’re an aspiring innkeeper, or a traveler who wants to know more about the excellence of our member’s accommodations, this blog is for you!
Technical Requirements for BBIM Inns
In order to be a BBIM member, the establishment has to be a true bed & breakfast or country inn with 1-24 rooms. We do not admit hotels or motels for any reason. Having “inn” as part of the name doesn’t mean you can expect a comfortable and welcoming experience. We take this very seriously and only consider true country inns and B&Bs that offer the experience our travelers are looking for when they come to BBIM.
We also ensure that every member is a serious business that is operational for at least 6 consecutive months during a year, has been open for at least one month since their first paying guest, has all required licenses, a Missouri Sales Tax number, business liability insurance, and accurate portrayals of their site in all their advertising. We do not admit establishments that are not serious and have not taken the steps to provide a reliable and professional experience.
Requirements for High-End Hospitality
When considering a B&B or inn for membership, BBIM ensures the establishment is clean, well-maintained, and meets important safety and privacy requirements. When you stay with a BBIM member inn, you won’t find yourself in a questionable place with no way to ensure your privacy or security. While a B&B may feel like a home, it’s important that the place you stay have additional safety measures for your own comfort. That’s one of the reasons we specifically require and verify that every room has a lock that can only be unlocked from the inside by the guest except in case of emergency.
To be a true bed & breakfast or country inn, the establishment must also provide breakfast on-site. This is a HUGE benefit of staying with a BBIM member instead of booking a hotel or motel. At less personal establishments, you may get lukewarm eggs in a stainless-steel trough or maybe a plastic wrapped muffin. At a BBIM inn, you get fresh, homemade breakfasts you can really savor as you start your day.
We also make sure that our innkeepers are friendly, hospitable, and courteous. Another great perk of staying with one of our B&Bs is that you get the personal touch of someone that lives in the neighborhood where you’re staying. They’ll be happy to give you the best recommendations of how to enjoy the area and make the most of your trip.
Benefits of Being a BBIM Member
If you’re the owner of a bed & breakfast or country inn and you’re wondering what the benefits are of joining BBIM, here are the top reasons you may want to become part of Bed & Breakfast Inns of Missouri:
- Your establishment will be listed on the BBIM website in our comprehensive directory
- We backlink to your website which improves your own website’s authority for Google
- You will be included in our social media marketing campaign on several platforms reaching a large audience
- Display our trademarked logo so visitors know you adhere to our high standards and have been professionally inspected and approved
Gift Certificate Program
- There is no fee to member inns for redeeming BBIM gift certificates (other programs charge up to 20%)
- Our gift certificates can be used at any member inn, so you could take advantage right away
- Gift certificates are convenient to travelers because they are delivered electronically as soon as they’re purchased
- E-Newsletter & Email Lists: Stay informed of legislative issues, scam alerts, and PR opportunities
- Private forum access to take advantage of the expertise of other BBIM members
- Educational Conference: Statewide (and sometimes multi-state) conferences to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and hear from leading national speakers in the industry
- Networking with peers
- Mentor Program: You’ll have access to another innkeeper who can answer your questions and give you sound advice when you need it.
Become a Member!
If you’re ready to become a BBIM member, we are excited to help you get the process started!
Conduct a self-inspection to make sure you meet our guidelines, using the Inspection Guidelines list.
Download and complete the Membership Application.
Send in the completed application form, copies of applicable licenses, and the non-refundable application fee to cover the cost of inspection.
Accommodate our review team – an overnight review is completed by an independent outside inspector. You provide a complimentary room and breakfast to the overnight reviewer.
After the review, the BBIM Board will vote on your membership.
Once you’re approved, you’ll receive a certificate and copies of our trademarked logo to use on your brochure and website. You’ll also receive access to a member inn listing page on the bbim.org website to complete and activate for your property.
For any questions regarding membership, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Not an innkeeper yet, but you’re thinking about becoming one? We have a vast number of resources for you too! Check out our Aspiring Membership page to learn more.
Find your perfect stay at a Missouri Bed & Breakfast.